Coconut Oil, Ketones and Alzheimer's

Thursday, July 6, 2017

ON COCONUT OIL AND THE AHA: RESPONSE BY MARY NEWPORT MD TO THE AHA  ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON DIETARY FATS AND CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASE

The media has irresponsibly taken viral a fragment of information purporting that coconut oil may be bad for your heart from an article published in the medical journal "Circulation" 2017, 135:e1-24, as a presidential advisory committee report from the AHA, "Dietary Fats and Cardiovascular Disease". The coconut oil industry on the other side of the world, mainly comprised of small farmers who grow and sell their coconuts, is reeling from the effects of this latest careless media campaign. They have only recently been recovering from the previous advisory put forth by the AHA.

There are some serious problems with the conclusions of the advisory committee. The four "core studies" this committee relied on were all conducted in the 1950s, were relatively small groups of "men only" in three of the four studies, were conducted in populations that almost certainly were not consuming coconut oil on any regular basis, and were studies comparing diets with ANIMAL saturated fats to diets with polyunsaturated fats. Animal and human fat is well known to store hormones, pesticides, antibiotics and other environmental substances, which could be factors in heart disease, whereas vegetable fats such as coconut oil would not be so likely to contain these potentially harmful substances.

The authors do not mention whether age and smoking were controlled for in these studies; smoking, which was very prevalent in the 1950s compared to the 2010's is a major contributor to heart disease. The raw numbers of how many people in each group had cardiac events was not presented, making the summaries difficult to evaluate. The clincher in this article is that they state on page e13, under the section on coconut oil, "Clinical trials that compared direct effects on CVD [cardiovascular disease] of coconut oil and other dietary oils have not been reported." They rely on studies of individual saturated fatty acids that show a miniscule increase in LDL (so called "bad") cholesterol but rationalize away a similar small increase in HDL (so called "good") cholesterol and an improved LDL to HDL ratio. For example, lauric acid (50% of coconut oil) resulted in a less than 1 mg/dl point increase in both LDL and HDL cholesterol, with typical LDL values ranging from less than 100 to 160 mg/dl. Could a change of less than 1 mg/dl really have that much impact?

In addition, the problem here is that natural fats such as coconut oil and even lard do not come as individual fatty acids but rather as combinations of many fatty acids with different properties, which may balance each other out. Completely ignored in this report are the saturated fats in coconut oil known as medium chain triglycerides that could balance out the longer chain fats. Coconut oil also contains some mono- and polyunsaturated fats, tauted as healthy by this committee. One of the most important details that the AHA is missing here is that 70% of the saturated fats in coconut oil are medium chain triglycerides (C6 through C12) which are either converted to ketones or burned immediately as fuel by muscle and other organs and not stored as fat. Lauric acid has some properties of medium chain and longer chain fatty acids. Ketones come from breakdown of fat and provide an alternative fuel to the brain and most other organs during starvation or fasting or to cells that are insulin resistant. In a recent study conducted in Japan, lauric acid was found to potently stimulate ketone production in astrocytes in cultures; astrocytes are brain cells that nourish other brain cells. By comparison, butter, lard and animal fat contain minimal medium chain triglycerides and medium chains are not found in soybean, olive, corn, safflower and most other oils. There are hundreds of studies of potential benefits of coconut oil; for example, lauric acid, which makes up about 50% of coconut oil, is antimicrobial - there are numerous studies showing that lauric acid kills many bacteria, viruses, fungi like candida and protozoa. Lauric acid is not found in any significant amount in soybean, corn, canola and olive oils.

A few small cholesterol studies looking at coconut oil were conducted decades ago in animals or a few men over short term and used hydrogenated coconut oil - any hydrogenated oil will increase cholesterol. Also, the diets were deficient in omega-3 fatty acids which can also increase cholesterol levels. There are studies of entire populations for whom coconut oil provides 1/3 to 2/3 of the diet showing that they were of normal height and weight, had normal blood pressure, triglycerides and cholesterol levels at all ages.


The committee surmises that people who eat saturated fats likely have other bad eating habits without any proof. These days, many, if not most, of the people who embrace coconut oil are likely embracing healthier foods as well and a healthier lifestyle in general and eating fish and/or taking omega-3 fats, which weren’t on the radar in the 1950s when the so-called “core studies” for this report were conducted.

The folks in the AHA and other organizations who perpetuate these myths about coconut oil need to really do their homework and learn more about medium chain triglycerides and study the other beneficial effects of coconut oil, which they choose to ignore. The point that some people may benefit from eating more polyunsaturated fat in place of animal fat may be very valid. However, coconut oil is not animal fat and, nevertheless, the bottom line that came out of their lengthy report is that “coconut oil is bad for your heart”, which has now been perpetuated by media who jumped on this conclusion that is not even based on direct research of coconut oil and heart disease. This message has gone viral worldwide. The impact of this could take a devastating toll on the economies of countries that produce coconut oil, mostly made up of individual farmers and their families trying to make a living. These economies were devastated in the 1960s and have been slowly recovering from the initial similar AHA statement on saturated fats in 1961 based on the same four “core studies". It is irresponsible and unconscionable for this advisory committee to make such sweeping claims without direct proof that coconut oil causes heart disease.

The AHA advisory committee should consider the negative impact their report has already had on the communities on the other side of the world, and issue a clarification that there is no direct proof that coconut oil has a negative effect on the heart. Then the committee needs to figure out how to make the clarification statement go viral.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

33 Comments:

  • I suffered from this horrible syndrome (ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE)...and it was horrible...for the past 3 years this has taken over pretty much all of my walking moments along with other medical issues. My family/friends have been with me through it all. But Today I am 107 days pain free!! I can't even believe how this all happened...I am just as amazed as, my family/friends are...none of us can believe how long I suffered and now in literally a matter of 107 days I was completely pain free.
    How? Well let me tell you.....Months ago my Friend told me about something called ZOMO HERBS....I heard him, but I didn't listen.....I went on just suffering along, Then My friend Raval, talked to my wife about it one night, when I was at my lowest point.....just wanting to give up...this wasn't the way I wanted to live...always in constant pain..Raval said, I will send you ZOMO HERBS..... I started using it and the rest is history my friends, There was a light at the end of the Tunnel... The results were immediate, it did take my pain away, but not completely....it was not until I upped the dosage to 3 times daily that I saw complete results.....NO PAIN.....I became so thrilled over the results that I decide to share my testimony.....If I can help even one person and that person helps one person and so on...we can all be out of pain and regaining our lives back....sound good? I have my life back!!!! I want you to have yours back too! Simply try to reach the doctor on (charantova@gmail.com) for more information about his treatment process or how to get his medicine.

    By Blogger Unknown, At September 12, 2017 at 3:27 AM  

  • By Blogger Spack Jarrow, At December 6, 2017 at 6:30 PM  

  • In my own case it was just over four years ago when my Mum began to sound different on the phone. She lived back East with my siblings and my husband and I were living on the West coast and in phone calls it became apparent that my Mum's voice no longer had the same tones of excitement and humor that she used to; and instead it was very flat. At the same time she began to tell us about a situation at work that just didn't seem possible; she was complaining that a group of fellow workers were conspiring to get her. Although Mum had much academic success as a teenager, her behavior had become increasingly odd during the past years. She quit seeing her friends and no longer seemed to care about her appearance or social pursuits. She began wearing the same clothes each day and seldom bathed. She lived with several family members but rarely spoke to any of us. Obviously this whole story seemed very unbelievable and we sensed something was wrong but had no clue as to what it could be. We recommended that my Mum quit her job and look for something else - as we began to wonder if she had a "mental breakdown" and would get better once out of the stressful job situation.
    In the case of Mum, she was having persecurtory delusions, auditory hallucinations and negative symptoms that had lasted for at least Three years. All of these symptoms fit with a diagnosis of Dementia. Her story reflects a common case, in which a high-functioning young adult goes through a major decline in day-to-day skills. Although family and friends may feel this is a loss of the person they knew, the illness can be treated and a good outcome is possible as it all got better when we started using a herbal medicine for her through Aparajita.
    My recommendation to people who are either wondering if they have DEmentia or wondering if a friend or loved one has Dementia should contact aparajitatan@gmail.com. I think one of our key problems was that we didn't do this in the early days of my Mum's illness as we never thought of a natural alternative for her.

    By Blogger Unknown, At December 26, 2017 at 4:47 AM  


  • For those people whose relative are suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease and maybe reading this, I find it hard that people are still ignorant of herbal medicine when it comes to treating Alzheimer’s Disease.
    I have been through many phases over the last couple of years since my father's diagnosis, he was 53 years old and had Early Onset Alzheimer’s Disease and his diagnosis changed my life in many ways, I spend most of the time in denial and I keep thinking the tests were wrong. But deep down I knew they were correct. Though sharing his story is very difficult. He was always very successful in being able to accomplish anything he set his mind on doing. Alzheimer’s is a bitch of a disease. It began by robbing his recent memory, but it didn't stop there. It continues to steal, taking the most recent memories until it has pilfered all but the oldest memories, he experienced a decline in his ability to think, remember and make decisions. I feel a need to express my thoughts and feelings about how it affected his day to day living and how its deteriorated since despite the help of some wonderful medics and medicine.
    I remind myself how lucky to come across Charanjit rychtova's herbal medicine which is able to control this disease without any side effect, I felt a moment of relief hoping that he is free from this ailment, and nothing compares to the healing power of nature. Now I believe almost every health problem can be addressed in one natural way or another. The only thing I wanted was for him to feel better. I’m proud to say my Dad is Alzheimer’s free. You can also contact him for advice and more info. charantova@gmail.com

    By Blogger Unknown, At January 7, 2018 at 11:34 AM  

  • I love blogs that bring useful stories to share. Thank you for your wonderful information.

    maxbet
    แทงบอล maxbet
    ทางเข้า maxbet

    By Blogger TONLOVE69, At January 26, 2018 at 8:31 PM  

  • By Blogger mozav007, At February 1, 2018 at 8:21 PM  

  • This is a great write up, I was also a victim, having Alzheimer's disease for many years. My journey and diagnosis with Alzheimer's disease began when I was 58 years old. My medical condition was heart broken. The first thing I did was get myself informed. I was subjected to different medications including Donepezil, galantamine, by my doctors for treatment without the assurance of having a positive improvement. Despite my visit to several doctors my health wasn't getting better. Also I keep thinking there has to be another alternative to address this, using herbal remedy, this information reinforced my original gut feelings that I should not give up. I decided to look for another option to help my condition. I’ve made many lifelong friends when I was looking for a natural cure for my ailment. To say it gets better is an understatement. I find hope in the darkest of days when I saw a testimony of people talking about Dr. Charanjit's herbal product. I started having series of thoughts, thereafter I ordered his product and started using it, to give the Alzheimer's disease an aggressive approach, the symptoms progressively got better.
    Luckily, everything seemed to be okay after a few weeks of starting the herbs, this was a pleasant surprise. I promised myself that I would stay strong. You sit living in fear of the reality what you may face, never really knowing what will happen until it does. I am indebted and decided to always share my experience.
    https://curetoalzheimer.blogspot.com/

    By Blogger Unknown, At February 13, 2018 at 11:39 PM  

  • Hi, thanks for this information.

    จีคลับ

    By Blogger Unknown, At April 12, 2018 at 1:31 AM  

  • شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
    عملية نقل العفش من مكان إلى أخر من الأمور الصعبة على الكثير من الأشخاص مما يجعلهم يلجئون إلى واحدة من كبرى شركات نقل العفش والأثاث، لكي تساعدهم في القيام بأعمال النقل المتميزة، فلا يوجد أفضل من شركة نقل عفش بالدمام فهي الشركة الوحيدة القادرة على القيام بأصعب أعمال النقل، فالشركة تعتمد على فريق من العمال المحترفين في أعمال النقل باستخدامهم أحدث الوسائل والأساليب المتقدمة، كما أن الشركة تحرص على أن تقوم باستخدام كل هذه الخدمات بأرخص الأسعار التي تتناسب مع جميع سكان الدمام والمملكة العربية السعودية، فنحن نعمل على مدار 24 ساعة طوال الأسبوع، وكل ما تسعى ورائه الشركة هو اكتساب ثقة عملائها الكرام، فشعار شركة نقل عفش بالدمام هو التميز والخبرة وأدائهم للعمل
    شركة نقل عفش بالدمام
    شركة نقل عفش بالخبر
    شراء اثاث مستعمل بجدة


    By Blogger Unknown, At April 29, 2018 at 4:36 PM  

  • By Blogger Unknown, At May 15, 2018 at 8:25 PM  

  • With this blog you really took our attention to the points that we never thought about. Thanks for sharing this with all of us. All the best, way to go!!!

    coconut oil for eczema

    oil pulling with coconut oil

    By Blogger Aloe Veda, At May 31, 2018 at 2:47 AM  

  • I'm very good at it. I stick to the people who read this, they are attracted to it and like it. Or if anyone at all what I did it. ดูแลสุขภาพ

    By Blogger น้องส้มส้ม, At June 22, 2018 at 1:06 AM  

  • Alzheimer's illness is common in my family, I have been stressed at work for at least 16years suffered depression my thoughts were blocked. So I knew the need to keep a watch on it, that was when I began to walk several times a week, 2 miles a day and realized that was a positive thing, but it got to a point my whole body started getting weaker, I needed some help. I started up training, the trainer came to my hometown 5 times a week and he told me that would be able to help me. I agreed with him and was happy I finally found solution not until I woke up one day and couldn't walk. Tried out so many medications and diet but none of them was able to help me. In the process I knew about ZOMO, an herbal medicine for Alzheimer's disease, I followed the blog address shared; I curiously contacted him and got ZOMO. I didn’t want to be disabled at my old age, and was so hungry for more healthy days on earth. My recovery involved both medicine and diet. I never had any complications I experienced while on English medications why using ZOMO. You may contact Dr. Charanjit via his email. charantova@gmail.com or visit his blog via curetoalzheimer.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Unknown, At June 25, 2018 at 9:22 AM  


  • شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
    الحشرات الضارة قد تقوم بالضرار او الامراض ولكن عليك مكافحة تلك الحشرات من بق الفراش ،الصراصير ، النمل بكل الانواع ، الفئران والقوارض ، مكافحة الوازغ ، مكافحة الحشرات الطائرة من ناموس وهاموش و ذباب ،ايضا مكافحة الحمام
    شركة مكافحة الفئران بالرياض
    شركة مكافحة الثعابين بالرياض
    شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بالرياض
    شركة مكافحة الحمام بالرياض
    شركة رش دفان بالرياض
    شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض

    By Blogger ركن كلين, At August 22, 2018 at 8:31 AM  

  • By Blogger Unknown, At November 6, 2018 at 1:46 AM  

  • Hello
    its Great
    GG ! .....

    free telegram members

    By Blogger Z`ssx, At November 20, 2019 at 8:55 AM  

  • Hello
    its Great
    GG Good ! ..

    free telegram members

    By Blogger Z`ssx, At November 23, 2019 at 8:59 AM  

  • By Blogger Brayan, At November 24, 2019 at 10:42 AM  

  • This game is Actually fun not get bored in a hurry. There’s plenty of fun to be had behind the wheel of your truck if you’re into that kind of thing. Replayability is encouraged with numerous unlockable skins and vehicle parts that will make your truck a force to be reckoned with.
    bloglovin

    By Blogger boy, At March 18, 2020 at 6:01 AM  

  • Please allow comments. Your body, I think read it easily, football click

    By Blogger independent, At March 18, 2020 at 8:51 AM  

  • Very interesting article, I would like to admit my article. If interested in my article, ข่าวฟุตบอล click now

    By Blogger garin, At March 18, 2020 at 8:56 AM  

  • My dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer's diseases this neuron disease started 25 years before being revealed it was triggered the moment we started eating sugars including any and almost all carbs that break down to glycerol,and he was placed on the best  medical treatment approved by united states,(FDA) he has been taking Cholinesterase,Memantine to treat his memory loss,confusion and the problems with his thinking and reasoning.just to help slow the progression and manage the symptoms,as no cure exists I read through with interest. I once believed Alzheimer disease has no cure. Well it is true with English medicine, but not with herbal medicine. My Dad's experience opened my eyes to the reality of a cure through herbs. My Father was a vibrant man before his encounter with Alzheimer. He was a scientist, hence his mental capability was never in doubt. In 2013, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer. The symptoms manifested through repeating conversation and gradually forgetting things. It became progressive from finding the right words during conversation, to significant confusion and forgetting details about himself. It was not a good experience, seeing your father whose brilliance had no match, totally became a shadow of himself. His doctors said the disease has no cure, just medications for treatment which had a lot of side effects were administered to him. Early 2016, while on the internet, I bumped into a story of Alzheimer, and I read about a cure through herbs with interest. I researched more to be sure it was not a hoax.  In my quest, Doctor James herbal mix medicine was mentioned in the testimony. I contacted him on his email that was provided  (drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com)   and I got his herbal mix medicine for my father.He told me that his herbal mix medicine will help my Dad to reduce the abnormal protein fold inside his neurons,and regulate the nutrients and molecules in his body system,and as well stop the progressive disorder that build up in damaging his brain cells,and help his weak cells  that causes  brain shrinking to function well,it's a good herbal drinks for cell repairing.This doctor James is super great man and his herbal mix medicine is wonderful and works effectively as he said,with no side effects. It's been 4 years and my Dad is perfectly okay and back to his laboratory work even at old age. For your loved ones with Alzheimer or Dementia, take them off English medicine and use Dr. James herbal mix medicine for treatment. if you have any kinds of health challenges  or diseases such as..Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis,Lupus,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV/AIDS, Herpes Virus,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid. just reach him on his Email  [drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com].   and get your permanent cure.he's a good man and he will help you. 

    By Blogger Richmond Kelly, At November 4, 2020 at 9:25 PM  

  • Using herbal natural remedy was what got me tested negative to HSV 2 after been diagnosed for years.I have spend so much funds on medications like acyclovir (Zovirax), Famciclovir (Famvir), and Valacyclovir (Valtrex). But it was all a waste of time and my symptoms got worst.  To me It is very bad what Big pharma are doing, why keep making humans suffer greatly just to get profits annually for medications that doesn't work. I'm glad that herbal remedies is gaining so much awareness and many people are getting off medications and activating their entire body system with natural herbal remedies and they are become holistically healed totally. Quickly contact Dr Akhere herbal home now on his contact field on his website: http://drakhereherbalhome.wixsite.com/website  or email him directly on drakhereherbalhome017@gmail.com

    By Blogger Sandra, At November 22, 2020 at 10:06 AM  

  • Checkout our website for buying guide about gas stoves.
    Gas stove review

    By Blogger Unknown, At February 17, 2021 at 3:26 AM  

  • By Blogger ahmed deraz, At March 1, 2021 at 10:40 AM  

  • By Blogger NFL Game Live Stream, At August 28, 2021 at 6:57 PM  

  • By Blogger Hedwig, At October 19, 2021 at 6:37 PM  

  • This article is very much helpful about coconut oil. you may also like to visit - best smoothie blender review guide

    By Blogger neha, At November 30, 2021 at 7:36 AM  

  • pg auto เกมพีจีสล็อตสล็อตออนไลน์ ที่มาในรูปแบบใหม่เป็นเกมส์ พีจี ยอดนิยมที่นิมยมเล่นกันบน โลกอินเตอร์เน็ตขณะนี้ ที่ใครๆต่างก็รู้จักนับเบอร์วันชั้น 1จำเป็นต้อง พีจีสล็อตแค่นั้น

    By Anonymous pg auto, At September 14, 2022 at 11:46 PM  

  • เข้ามาสมัครเล่นเกม พนันออนไลน์ apollo pg เกมพนันออนไลน์ Apollo Slot Pg ที่สามารถช่วย ให้ผู้เล่นได้รับ ทั้งยังความเพลิดเพลิน ความระทึกใจ และก็โอกาศ ที่จะสร้างรายได้

    By Anonymous apollo pg, At September 14, 2022 at 11:48 PM  

  • Thanks for sharing. Bedigitech is well-known as Web Development Services in Gurgaon. Our aim is create the most engaging and user-friendly websites possible so that your clients can quickly get in touch with you.

    By Blogger BEdigitech, At November 23, 2022 at 2:14 AM  

  • Thanks for sharing. Beglobalus presenting Web development Services in Los Angeles. Our objective is to combine cutting-edge design ideas with the appropriate messaging to reach your target audience.

    By Blogger BEGlobal(US)LLC, At January 2, 2023 at 11:06 PM  

  • Thank you, Dr. Newport, for shedding light on the benefits of coconut oil in patients with Down Symptom. As someone with a family member affected by this condition, I appreciate any information that can help improve their quality of life. It's important to consider all research and make informed decisions regarding dietary fats and cardiovascular health.

    By Blogger Unknown, At April 3, 2023 at 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home